Thursday, January 5, 2017

twenty seventeen.


Hey, hi, hello. 
Let me start by saying how much I love Blogger. 
I tried transitioning the blog to Wordpress. 
I tried transitioning the blog to Squarespace.
I liked using both. I will continue to use both...

But there's something about 
this hokey website 
that no one loves 
that feels very, very sincere to me.
Like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree.

ANYWAY. Enough about how much I dig antiquated Blogger. 

It's  T W E N T Y   S E V E N T E E N !

Let me tell you about life lately...

I'm back to the New York City grind, after a grapple with INFLUENZA. (Srsly everyone plz get your shots.) There's a lot of J.O.B. hustle to be had, and I'll get to reporting on that next week, but first I needed to do a post about a couple of newly discovered shows NEAR and DEAR to my television-consuming heart. 

FIRST UP: Did you all agree to watch "Bob's Burgers" without telling me? You did, didn't you? You held a summit the last time my immune system was compromised (re: mononucleosis Junior year) and you were like, "Oh, a character-driven show about a dysfunctional family with a pun-ny, off-beat sense of humor? Let's NOT tell Sarah about it, but consume these 22 minutes of delight for seven years IN SECRET!"   

Not cool, everyone. Not cool. 

My ~bout of 'fluenza~ afforded some prime bingeing, so while I'm not up to date, I am thoroughly endeared to Bob, Linda, Tina, Gene, and Louise Belcher. But especially Tina. I'm carrying her self-confidence with me into the new year.


SECOND: "Search Party" is saaaahhhhh goooooood. In a trippy, darkly humorous, Nancy Drew way. After a few weighty episodes of "Westworld," the fam-jam needed something light and mellow to shake off all that blood and nudity. "Search Party" fit the bill and, with ten episodes, was a very easy two-day binge. There's something for everyone: MYSTERY! (Suspected) MURDER! AFFAIRS! COMEDY! CULTS! INTRIGUE! My mom repeatedly laughed a belly laugh that we as a family haven't experienced since "The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron."

The season finale is perfection, encapsulating all that I loved and respected about the show's initial tone and premise. Watching the supplementary TBS interviews between episodes was especially enjoyable. I can't recommend this show enough. EVERYONE WATCH, EVEN IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE FLU.


I like to believe that derpy Drew Gardner (above left, played by John Reynolds) would get along swimmingly with Tina Belcher. Just a couple of dorky hopeless romantics armed with quiet aplomb and charisma, each trying to sort out this complicated thing we call life.

I mean, aren't we all? 

No comments:

Post a Comment